Sunday, January 30, 2022

Heading to Ancient Egypt

 

Whenever I walk through the front doors of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, I always make a right turn and head directly to the Egyptian Art rooms.  I seem to be drawn to that one location more than any other spot in the museum.


The museum does a good job of transporting me from the busy streets of New York to a place and time much further distant.  On the first day of my visit back in October, I spent so much time in these rooms that I had to come back another day to see some of the other galleries.  



The artifacts intrigue me.  Things like the boat (above) with it's tiny little human figures; how did something so delicate survive to today.

And, these images to the left still have their original paint hanging on.
















I can't help but wonder at the images I see.  Did the people actually wear those tall head pieces and did the men have those long chin-beards?

The artifacts seem to reveal that certain animals were revered by the people of the time.



























The charms of this mysterious era will always appeal to me and I'm sure I will head in this direction every time I have an opportunity to visit the Met. 

If truth be told, I'll head toward these exhibits in all the great museums I visit.  I can't help myself.


6 comments:

Andy said...

A great place to go exploring. Ancient Egyptians left a lot behind for us.

Travel said...

I need to go back there

Roseann said...

Sharon- Have you ever been to Egypt? I have.

I believe the bird is the God Horace - of what I do not know.

The kings did wear certain regimented high hats and did have beards. The hats are very telling as to their position and rank.

Grand Circle Travel has an awesome trip:

https://www.oattravel.com/trips/small-ship-adventures/middle-east/egypt-and-the-eternal-nile-by-private-classic-river-yacht/2021/itineraries?

Some by bus, plane and river boat. I took it last year and it was excellent. PS. I travel alone and joined the group in Cairo.

LuiZ FernandoS said...

A friend really believes that they were ET with a talll brain and this hat is to disguise it. To make things clear, this same person doesn't believe in vaccines!

William Kendall said...

Ancient Egypt has always drawn me in.

Catalyst said...

Oh how I would love to see this exhibit!