Sunday, January 9, 2022

Kandinsky at the Guggenheim

 

When I was in New York last October, I once again made a trip to the Solomon R Guggenheim Museum this time to see an exhibition of artworks by Vasily Kandinsky, one of my favorite abstract artists.

You might remember that the last time I visited this museum, I saw an exhibit of paintings by Hilma af Kint an abstract artist I had never heard of before.  She was painting as early as 1906 and Kandinsky began his art some 20 years later.


Kandinsky was born in Russia and raised in Odessa.  He went to law school studying law and economics and became successful in his career.  At the age of 30 he began studying painting, drawing and other art forms.  In 1896 he moved to Munich and studied at the Academy of Fine Arts.



He moved back to Moscow in 1914 returning to Germany in 1920 where he taught at the Bauhaus School of Art and Architecture which is where he met Solomon Guggenheim.  
















Guggenheim purchased "Composition 8" in 1930 during his first meeting with Kandinsky.  Guggenheim would go on to be the artist's greatest patron, acquiring a considerable number of his works.  This composition is one of my favorite works of art.


I had not seen this painting before and it has now been added to my favorites list too.  I love this one called "Around the Circle" painted in 1940.  It is said that this painting reflects his abiding interest in the belief systems and folklore of Russian and Siberian cultures.   I see similarities to some Native American Art which I find fascinating.  



So, once again another trip to an architecturally amazing museum to see some equally amazing and incredible works of art.  It makes me thankful that I got to go to New York once again.

5 comments:

Travel said...

Two reasons to see that museum, the collection, and the building. When we were there in August the atrium was dark, there was a giant video projection on display and all the windows and the skylight were covered, I need to go back

DUTA said...

I'm not a fan of abstract art, but the story of Kandinsky is interesting!

Linda Sue said...

Delicious art, Kandinsky a favorite for sure! Thank you for traveling to the absolute best places on the planet and sharing the art therein!! Lovely.

William Kendall said...

These are unusual and eye catching.

Revrunner said...

As Billy Crystal used to say, "Simply marvelous!" :-)