Sunday, March 5, 2023

My Friends Went to Antarctica

 

My good friends Julie and Dave went to Antarctica in January and since I won't be going there, I asked if I could share some of the iPhone photos they sent to me.  I got the above photo the day they left Argentina on the Antarctic Airways jet. The rest of the photos here I got after their two weeks on the boat.  There was no internet or cell phone service available while they were exploring that uninhabited and ice covered land mass.

All of these photos are iPhone photos and they show the stark beauty of this wilderness area.  Dave told me this one shows Julie way down there by the shore.  She looks very tiny down there as does the boat they traveled on out there in the water.

He also said that the sun didn't get much lower than this the entire time they were there.  


Here's a photo of Julie all bundled up and enjoying one of the excursions.


















 Likewise, here's Dave all bundled up against freezing temperatures and the wind.  


















All that ice creates beautiful sculptures all around.

The photos I love the most are the ones with penguins in them.  They are such adorable and unusual creatures.  They got to meet several different kinds of penguins on this trip.  


Next week, I'll show you more of the penguin wildlife.  

6 comments:

Andy said...

Your friends were lucky to go on an adventure like this.

William Kendall said...

What an experience to be there. Excellent photos.

Travel said...

Oh what wonderful images,

Travel said...

Oh how wonderful!

Catarina said...

Antarctica is not on my bucket list. Our winters are long and cold as you know, but I understand the interest of Arizonians to travel to the White Continent. : ) I’m sure your friends had a marvelous time. The photos are fabulous.

Revrunner said...

Suddenly, I'm feeling warm and comfortable. :-)