Sunday, February 26, 2023

Palm Trees and Hiking Trails

 

On my many visits to the Wickenburg area, I have passed this spot just south of town where there are an abundance of palm trees.  It's an unusual site out in the desert.  So on one trip, I stopped to learn more about he place.


The property is called the Hassayampa River Preserve and it is owned by the Nature Conservancy and managed by Maricopa County.  

The building on the property has had many uses from a home to a winter retreat to a dude ranch.  When I was there, the inside was mostly empty but I loved this huge fireplace.  













I decided to hike the trail and found it to be shady and cool in spite of the desert heat.  


















When I reached the river, I enjoyed watching the birds flying from tree to tree and singing loudly.  

I later learned that this place is somewhat of a bird sanctuary with many species found in among all that brush.



























One thing I know for sure is that the area was full of hummingbirds.  I could hear their tiny chirps and when I returned to the building, I saw this feeder that was one of the busiest hummingbird feeders I've ever seen.  
I think I'll count this place as another hidden gem in the state of Arizona.  It certainly lives up to its reputation as an oasis in the desert.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

That fireplace is a welcome sight.

Gardens at Waters East said...

Thanks for the posting. I always truly enjoy seeing place that are the work of the Nature Conservancy. Many years ago I did a weekend workshop for members of the Wisconsin chapter of the Nature Conservancy. Love all the great things that they do here in this state and around the world. Good work!

Travel said...

Massive palm trees, and hummingbirds sitting still.

Catarina said...

I wouldn't mind visiting this place

Catarina said...

I wouldn't mind visiting this place.