Sunday, March 28, 2021

International Folk Art

 

Last week I had a post about the wonderful art work that can be found all around the place in Santa Fe New Mexico known as Museum Hill.  That spot is home to four different museums and the Santa Fe Botanical Gardens.  The four museums are: Museum of Spanish Colonial Art, Museum of Indian Arts & Culture. The Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian and the Museum of International Folk Art. This post is about that last one, the Museum of International Fold Art.  I visited that museum the last time I was in Santa Fe and it was the first time I had ever been to it.

It's an amazing museum with huge collections of folk art from all over the world.  It is a much bigger museum that the outside  reflects.


One area of the museum was full of dioramas depicting places all over the world.  And, they were huge dioramas that included buildings, vehicles and people of the era depicted.
































This one depicts a village that might have been Santa Fe many years ago.  


It was in this diorama that my friend spotted this little lady taking a photo.  My friend said "look, it's you with your camera".


I pointed out that there were a few other photographers walking around this place along with me.


There were vast amounts of other art forms and displays around the museum.  This woven rug caught my eye because of how the weaver made this perfectly flat rug look like it was bunched up.  That is quite a talent.  

The International Fold Art Museum is just another example of the museums to be found at Museum Hill.  And that doesn't even touch the other wonderful museums located in the heart of Santa Fe.  On my last trip I was only there for four days.  To see it all, one needs to spend a whole week and even then you might not see all the museums and galleries available.

3 comments:

Travel said...

Looks like fun

William Kendall said...

I am reminded a bit of an exhibit that was here in a museum years ago.

Gemel said...

That is amazing!