Sunday, April 4, 2021

Treasures From Around the Globe

 


The British Museum in London has a spectacular collection of artifacts from around the globe.  After my post two weeks ago, I dug a little more into my photo archives to come up with some photos of some of the treasures that caught my eye.

The above shot is a close up of some of the detail on this clock to the left.  This isn't just any clock, it's a Monumental Carillon Clock that was created in 1589 by Isaac Habrecht of Strasbourg.  It plays "Our Father" (written by Martin Luther) every hour.  It also has three faces, the 24 hour dial, the quarter hour dial and the lowest one is an annual calendar naming the Saint's days and feasts days.

What an amazing piece of ingenuity and craftsmanship. 





If you found that first clock impressive, take a look at this one.  This is called the Milkmaid & Cow Automaton Clock dating around 1600 and made in Poland.  On this clock, the standing farmer indicates the time with his staff, the cows eyes move back and forth and with a flick of the switch, the milkmaid 'milks' the cow.  Liquid stored in the reservoir actually comes out of the udder.  Pretty ingenious, I'd say.


Getting past the fancy clocks, I stopped to admire this Wedgewood piece called The Pegasus Vase.  It dates to 1786.  This has to be the ultimate Wedgewood piece for any collection.
















Moving into a room with much larger specimens, I came face to face with "Hoa Hakananai'a" (roughly translated to stolen or hidden friend).  You probably recognize him as a former resident of Rapa Nui or Easter Island.  He's a very long way from home.

Every time I visit the British Museum, this fellow always draws a large crowd of admirers.  I don't think I've ever seen him without a crowd around his base.











Not far from the fellow above, I found the god Amun represented as ram protecting a figure of King Tahargo.  It's just one of an astounding number of Egyptian statues and artifacts to be found at the British Museum.















The beautiful lady to the right can be found in the great, domed hall at the center of the museum.  She is Thalia, muse of comedy and she is Roman from the 2nd century.  

These fantastic objects are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things you can see at the British Museum.  And it's why I return again and again.  



4 comments:

Andy said...

From an era when clocks were considered art. Now of days we just look at our phones for the time.

William Kendall said...

I'd love to see that museum.

Travel said...

The tiny mechanical masterpieces are amazing. I will go back there again.

Catalyst said...

I spent way too short a time in that museum during our only trip to London.