Sunday, February 7, 2021

EPCOT!

 

Many years ago I had the privilege of being among the first tourists to visit EPCOT, the theme park adjacent to Walt Disney World in Florida.  It was October of 1982 and it was an amazing experience.  There were many ceremonies and a lots of fireworks.  Space Ship Earth (above) dominates the entrance to the park.  There was a ride inside that round globe that takes riders on a time machine trip around our globe.

The Imagination Pavilion had films and slide shows.  I recall a presentation about the history of photography but after a little research, I discovered that the shows at this pavilion are always evolving with the latest technology.  



My favorite area of EPCOT was where the 'country' pavilions were located.  I loved visiting all 10 that were there at the time.  (There are now 11 pavilions.  One for Norway opened 4 years later.)

Above is a quiet corner in the Morocco Pavilion and to the left is the China Pavilion.  



























To the right is a scene from the Japan pavilion.  

I located these photos recently but, it seems like there must be more somewhere because I recall taking photos at every single pavilion.  I have Morocco, China and Japan represented here but I'm missing the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, Italy and the U.S. Maybe there is some irony in those missing photos.  I've been able to visit everyone of those missing countries since this time but I've never been to the three represented here.

I'll never forget being there for the grand opening with all the ceremonies opening the different pavilions and a wonderful welcoming speech from Walt Disney himself.  

3 comments:

Travel said...

Fantastic photos, my middle brother retires this week after 43 years with Disney. A month or so before opening to the public, EPOCT hosted employees and guests for test runs, I went with him one day. The Universe of Energy broke down, they turned the lights on so we could walk out through a side door.

William Kendall said...

I don't recall being there during our family visit.

Catalyst said...

I've never been to a Disney theme park but this is the one I would like to have visited. My son lived in Orlando with his lady who is an executive with Disney.