Sunday, January 15, 2023

Making the List

 

One of my favorite features in the New York Times is the annual list of 52 places to visit in the new year.  Two years before the start of the pandemic, the newspaper decided to actually send a reporter to all 52 places during the year.  The two reporters who won the jobs wrote reports from all the places they visited and I read every single one.  Then the pandemic hit and travel was suspended.  Last week I saw that the 52 places list was back again and I was pleased to see so many wonderful options on the list.  I was even more pleased to see that the city of Tucson Arizona made the list.

The article suggested visiting Barrio Viejo in Tucson, a historic neighborhood that is full of old adobe architecture.  I've visited this part of Tucson almost every time I visit the city.  



The homes and businesses in this area will make you feel like you've left the United States and entered Mexico.



















Toby, the red Griffen can be found in this area.  He was created by artist Joe O'Connell to mark the spot where the Carnegie Library stood before it was destroyed by fire.  















I was pleased to see that Tucson made the list along with other favorite places of mine.  I was even more pleased to see the list return once again with the full encouragement to get out and see things.

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Toby looks like a grand fellow.

Travel said...

I will see a little of Tucson next week.

Peace Thyme said...

I hopefully imagine that they rebuilt the library in the same neighborhood rather than spend all the available funds on the red sculpture (which is beautiful, by the way, and very aprotos for the neighborhood.)