Sunday, March 13, 2022

My Italy Highlights

 


I've only been to Italy twice so I'm no expert on what Italy has to offer.  However, I can summarize some of my favorite sights.

We'll start with the Coliseum in Rome.  I remember well my first glimpse of this incredible place from the back seat of a taxi.  I literally let out a gasp.  Walking around this place I marveled at the history it has seen and how it has survived over all those years.




















The city of Florence has so much to offer but, one experience stands out.  Seeing Michelangelo's David was another breathtaking experience.  I circled this magnificent statue so many times that my travel companion went on to the next room without me.



























Siena is one of those walled cities with narrow, ancient streets just perfect for exploring.  Visiting the Siena Cathedral was a highlight.  I loved the striped granite pillars inside that are mirrored by the bell tower on the outside.  There was so much to see inside this church.


All of Tuscany has a never ending supply of beautiful scenery.  Places like Cortona and San Gimignano are both beautiful and inspiring but just driving in this area and taking in the views is enough to captivate the senses.


And then there is Venice!  Such a beautiful and historic place that quite literally sits in the water. It's mind boggling.  In Venice the streets are waterways, the architecture is unique and the history is alive and there for all to experience.


Verona is another city with lots to see.  There are cathedrals to tour and a coliseum where events are still being staged today.  And don't forget to take a quick peek at Juliet's balcony.  

In northern Italy, the mountains are the star.  The Dolomites are part of the Alps and their jagged peaks rise above in awe inspiring beauty.  The mountains have wrapped their arms around the winter sports town of Cortina hugging it in a rugged embrace.

Milan is not always on many Italian itineraries but it is certainly worth a visit.  The Duomo di Milano alone is a spectacular sight and it can be toured inside, outside and on its roof among the pinnacles and spires.  While in Milan also see da Vinci's The Last Supper, La Scala, and the gorgeous Galleria Vittorio Emanuele for a spot of high-end shopping.  Milan has plenty to keep you busy.


The last place I'll mention is Lake Como.  It is probably one of the most beautiful lakes in the world.  Staying in one of the beautiful villages along the lake is a grand experience.  You can visit exquisite villas, incredible luxury hotels and magnificent gardens all while criss-crossing the blue waters.  

These are all places that I've loved on my trips to Italy.  I'll bet travelers who've been there more than I have will think of many, many more places.


3 comments:

Travel said...

Italy is amazing, there are parts I have not been to. Rome twice, Florence, Modina, Venice we have been to. I want to go south, and north west.

William Kendall said...

I would very much like to see Italy someday.

Catalyst said...

San Remo is a place you'd probably like.