Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Colosseum


I released an audible gasp as our taxi approached the Colosseum.  The magnitude and beauty of the place was almost over whelming.  I simply couldn't believe that I was actually about to step foot on such an ancient and historic place.  


It is the largest amphitheater ever built and is considered one of the greatest works of architecture and engineering.  And, construction began in 72 AD.....imagine that!  


Built under the orders of the emperor Vespasian, it was completed under his successor and heir Titus, just eight years later in 80AD.  To me, that's even more amazing.  Just eight years to build something that will last and be admired for centuries.  



I had read in my travel guides that the wait to  get inside can be quite long but, my timing must have been perfect because within minutes after purchasing our tickets, we were inside this incredible structure where between 50,000 to 80,000 spectators gathered for gladiatorial contests and public events.  When it was in use, it had a sand covered wooden floor build over the top of an elaborate underground structure called the "Hypogeum" which literally means 'underground'.  Little remains of the original floor so you can see directly into the hypogeum and its network of tunnels and cages.


It truly is a masterpiece of architectural design and construction.  I loved standing back and looking at  it and picturing the activity around the place all those eons ago.  Was it bustling with people around it just like it is today?


I could even picture a gladiator or two wandering about and guarding the entrance!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing place, and so popular with visitors!

Lowell said...

I was there in 1957! It looks about the same. But your photos are far superior to mine!

Kate said...

Awesome photos, Sharon. It must have been an amazing experience to see it. Looks like there is a bit of a crowd in the lowest photo.

Judy said...

You got some terrific shots of the place!

Unknown said...

Your shots are wonderful!

Catalyst said...

It truly is an amazing structure.

William Kendall said...

A place I would love to see for myself someday. I watched a documentary recently on it, and one of the questions experts were trying to figure out involved the way the ancient Romans raised animals into the arena. They devised a system and tested it, with a wolf being raised up through the mechanism to see if it would work.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I had that same reaction Sharon. Wonderful shots of this ancient masterpiece.