Sunday, August 15, 2021

Beauty at the Mission

 

I've posted twice before about the beautiful San Juan Capistrano Mission in Southern California.  Today I have more photos from that mission.  The mission is one of the 21 missions established by Spain when that country ruled much of the California territory.  Capistrano is one of the best preserved of all of them.

In this post I'm featuring photos from around the grounds of the mission.  The mission itself is built in a square very much like a fort would have been built.  In the center of that square is a grand courtyard.


In the center of the courtyard is a very large fountain that appears to be overflowing with water lilies.  


The walls of the old mission buildings show their age in a way that is very appealing.





















The mission was founded on November 1, 1776 and was the seventh of the nine missions founded by Father Junipero Serra.  


I think I've toured this mission at least four different times and I'd happily go again.  It is such a beautiful place full of history and inspiration.  It's rewarding to be surrounded by such beauty for one or two hours.

You can see more photos from this beautiful mission here and here.  


5 comments:

Andy said...

Thank you for the tour. This is the kind place that would love to explore.

Travel said...

Something for me to see. There is a string of missions south of San Antonio, more frontere in style.

William Kendall said...

It certainly is a beautiful place.

Catalyst said...

Do you suppose it was designed as it was to ward off attacks by Indians? Or Protestants?

PerthDailyPhoto said...

If I could I would join you Sharon, lots of history behind these ancient walls, not to mention the beautiful gardens 💜