Sunday, April 15, 2018

A California Mission


When I was in California last summer, I made a point of visiting Mission San Juan Capistrano located just a few miles south of the Newport Coast area in the city of San Juan Capistrano.  I hadn't been there in several years so it was a good opportunity to once again enjoy the beauty of this historically restored and maintained mission.



As you can see from these photos, the grounds are beautifully landscaped and planted with a variety of native plants.


The altar in the mission chapel is adorned with wood carvings and statues.



Offering candles create beautiful light inside the chapel and at the entrance.



The original church was destroyed by an earthquake in 1812 but the remains are still on the grounds and visitors can walk where the church once stood.






























This statue leads the way toward the ruins of the old church.

































The swallows still return to the mission every year.  We didn't see them  on this trip but their distinctive nests were there to see.


We did see this beautifully costumed couple posing for photos inside the mission grounds.  What a wonderful backdrop the old mission walls will make for this couple's photo album.  


Even though I've been there several times before, the beauty of this place keeps me coming back for another visit.

I posted about Mission San Juan Capistrano before and I told the history of the place in that post.  If you are interested in the history, you can see that post here.

4 comments:

Suza said...

Very Beautiful building

Lowell said...

Down through the years, I've heard so much about this mission. I lived in Los Angeles and my parents lived north, near San Francisco, but I don't think we ever visited this beautiful mission. Your photos are gorgeous (as usual) and you've captured the beauty of this place very well. Thank you for sharing as now it feels like I've been there in person!

Judy Ryer said...

I remember going there many years ago. Your pictures are beautiful!

William Kendall said...

I've heard of this place before. You've photographed it beautifully.