Sunday, August 30, 2020

Bigger Than I Imagined

I only have four photos today from my 1985 trip to Germany.  The first major stop on that trip was to Cologne to see the cathedral I had read about.  I had heard that it was huge but even with that knowledge, I wasn't prepared for the massive size of it.

There was not a single spot where I could get a photo that captured the whole thing.  I needed a wide angle lens, something I didn't have at that time.





















I was certainly not the only tourist wanting to see this place.  There were tour buses parked everywhere around the front of the cathedral.































When I finally got past all the parked buses and cars, I was so close to the front of the church that it was filling my view finder. I was only capturing about a quarter of the whole front.  Look how tiny the people look compared to cathedral.































There is no doubt that the Cologne Cathedral is a giant in the world of grand churches.  Do you suppose it's massive size was planned to make humans feel small in the scope of things?

I did a Google search to see if there were any better photos and the image results speaks volumes.  It's not an easy place to photograph unless you are in the air.

3 comments:

Janey and Co. said...

My first visit to Cologne was in 1977. I too was awed by the size of the cathedral. I returned in the late nineties and arrived by train, the station being right across the way. I can remember getting off the train and the cathedral filling to widows on the station confirming that it was as large as I had remembered.

William Kendall said...

My parents visited it in the late eighties. They were impressed.

Travel said...

Amazing scale