Sunday, August 23, 2020

Exploring Germany

As I planned my very first trip to Europe back in 1985, there were two countries high on my list.  England was first and Germany was second.  Visiting those two places would cover my heritage, English on my Mother's side and German on my father's side.

I purchased a Baedeker guide book for Germany and I started mapping out the places I wanted to see.  After seeing a photo of St. George's Cathedral in the town of Limburg in Germany, visiting that city scored a high position on my list.

I was not disappointed.  The cathedral was even more beautiful than the picture in the book.















My skills as a photographer have improved by quite a bit over the years so please forgive my slightly tilted photos.  (If truth be told, I tend to lean in that direction still today.  I just do a better job of straightening them before I click.)





























These photos were all scanned from that large group of slides I recently discovered.  Luckily most of the slides were Ektachrome so they have retained a lot of their color.































 The town of Limburg itself was full of half timbered buildings an houses.

























It was a joy to explore.  This being my very first trip to Europe, it all looked so different and somewhat exotic to me.

































Walls that actually leaned into the street seemed to me that they might crumble at any moment.

































Interesting doors caught my eye. I kind of wish I had gone into this little restaurant when I was there.


































In the same box where I found the old slides, I found this little framed watercolor of St. George's Cathedral.  I remember that I bought it because I wanted something to commemorate my visit.  After all, back in the days of film, one never knew how the photos would turn out.

3 comments:

Janey and Co. said...

Tilted or not ..these are beautiful photos. I by the way tilt in the same direction.
I have been to Germany many times and find so pristine and manicured.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots, Sharon.

Catalyst said...

Great photos make for great memories.