Sunday, November 11, 2018

Observations Around the Big Apple


For this week I have a series of random shots around New York City.  They are just observations I made while making my way around the city that never sleeps.  First up, a view of Times Square from my hotel window.  From this vantage point it doesn't look at all like the madhouse it is.


Growing up in the Midwest where there are a number of Amish communities, I found it very interesting to find an Amish Market in the middle of the city.


This is another view from the hotel window.  I loved looking out at all the tall buildings but, one in particular caught my eye.  In the far left, the tall one with what looks like a platform jutting out from it.


I zoomed in to get a closer look.  What on earth could that be?  It looks like the building is still under construction and this might be some sort of future observation deck.  In its present state, it gave me shivers of fear just thinking about standing out there.


My friends and I attended a special party in a gallery space in the Chelsea area and I snapped this shot of the sunset out the gallery window.


I loved the view out the window while having lunch at MoMA (Museum of Modern Art).  I thought that street to the left was so perfect looking it almost looked like a movie set.


To the right in the view above was an office building of all glass that we could see into.  The people that work in that building are on constant view.

One of the more unusual sights was The Naked Cowboy prancing around Times Square wearing nothing but his tighty whities and a hat.  Mind you, it was 50 degrees out.  He must be pretty hot blooded.




























Rockefeller Center was in full "Fall" mode with some elaborate displays to admire.


I was totally amazed by the lights in the lobby of the Met Breuer, the Metropolitan Museum of Art's contemporary art gallery.  This museum opened in 2016 and occupies the old Whitney Museum building at 75th and Madison.  All that contemporary art and I was awestruck by the ceiling lights!


It wasn't until my last day in New York that I noticed I could see all the way down to the Intrepid Museum on the Hudson River from my hotel window.  I zoomed in to get a shot.  I visited the Intrepid on a previous trip to New York many years ago.

New York is a city of endless discoveries.

P.S.  I found some information on that observation deck.  It's on a building called Hudson Yards and the deck is on the 100th floor.  It will be the highest observation deck in the western hemisphere and will be surrounded by a 9ft high glass wall but will be open on top.  

6 comments:

diane b said...

The city that never sleeps. You sure could get plenty of different views from your window. The Naked Cowboy looked dashing.

Judy Ryer said...

All great shots and brings back memories.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Wow! What a view Sharon. There would be no chance of me going out on a ledge/view point so high either, even looking out your window would have been a challenge for me ☺

William Kendall said...

That first shot's my favourite.

Catalyst said...

I was thinking I bet you were glad the elevators in your hotel were working. And according to Wikipedia, the Naked Cowboy will turn 48 next month. I wonder how long he can keep up his act.

Lois said...

Wonderful photos Sharon. You really had be wondering about that building, so I'm glad you added the note at the end about the observation deck. Not sure I would want to go up there though!