Sunday, November 4, 2018

Lucky View, Unlucky Window


Every now and then when I'm flying into a special city, I will get an extraordinary view that makes sitting in a window seat for five hours worthwhile.  That is what happened on this most recent trip to New York.  I don't think I had ever seen such a good view of Manhattan on a previous flight.  The bad news was that the window I was looking out of was not very clean or clear.


But, that didn't stop me from grabbing my camera and snapping a few shots on our approach into the Newark airport.  I cleared these up as best I could with the editing software but, as you can see, they are still pretty grainy looking.


As we swung around along he tip of Manhattan, I used the zoom to get a closer look at that jungle of tall buildings.


And then as we passed the tip, I caught sight of a tall object on an island.  Could the be what I think it is?


So I cropped the photo to make sure of what I had captured.  Sure enough, I caught sight of Lady Liberty standing guard with her welcoming light.  A perfect sight to be greeted with on any trip to New York.


And as the plane got lower on it's landing trajectory, I could look at all those buildings and know that I would soon be down there amidst those architectural giants, looking up at them instead of down on them.

The best airborne photos I ever got are still the one's I got when I was leaving Europe from the Venice airport.  You can see that shot here.

9 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I like this, I think you managed very well. Always so exciting to see the first sight of a city and going down for a closer look.

diane b said...

You sure had a great view of the big apple. The Statue of Liberty too. It is exciting landing in a big city.

Lowell said...

You did very well and I love shots looking down on Manhattan. I've only been there a couple of times, that last in 2003 when Lois Anne ran the NYC Marathon. What an experience that was! The biggest problem I have with such cities is that I'm skeered of heights and thus steer away from buildings where I have to look down from higher than a 2nd floor. :)

Judy Ryer said...

Awesome!

Catalyst said...

Marvelous, Sharon. I wonder if the Donald has ever seen that statue welcoming the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free. Probably not.

William Kendall said...

Splendid views, Sharon!

Bill said...

Outstanding shots, Sharon. You definitely got some amazing views.

Lois said...

I think you did a wonderful job Sharon. These are excellent views. I went back and looked at the spectacular shot you took of Venice too. All I can say is "Wow!" I recognized so many landmarks from when I was in Venice a couple of years ago. It was raining and stormy the day we flew out though, so there was no view at all.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Incroyable shots Sharon, NY really is a jungle! I remember the aerial shot over Venice, it was fab!