Sunday, July 29, 2018

82 Portraits....


On my recent trip to California, I decided that I needed to spend some time in the Los Angeles area because it had been a long time since I had been to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) and almost 20 years since I had visited the Getty Center.  So, I set two days aside to indulge in the Los Angeles Art scene.  My first stop was LACMA to see the David Hockney exhibit called "82 Portraits and 1 Still Life".  I had read about this exhibit and was anxious to see it and I'm so glad I did.


Hockney painted 82 portraits of people in his life and each portrait was painted from the live sitting over a span of three days.  He calls it the "20-hour exposure".  The paintings were not commissioned and were meant to be displayed all together as they are in the exhibit.  What an impact they make with their brilliant colors against an equally brilliant background.

Here is just a sample of the individual portraits.



Edith Devaney is the curator at the Royal Academy of Arts in London.

Each painting was labeled with the person's name and the dates of the sitting when the painting was made.



























This one is John Hockney, the artist's brother who is a storyteller, writer and musician in his own right.





























One of my favorite portraits was this one of Barry Humphries, actor.  You might know him as Dame Edna.


Everything about this great exhibit was visually stimulating.
































5 comments:

biebkriebels said...

They look almost like photos, so bright and clear painted! And so many!

RedPat said...

The whole display and the individual pieces look wonderful, Sharon!

Judy Ryer said...

How fun!

William Kendall said...

The third shot is my favourite.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Brilliant! The individual portraits are incroyable, the way they are displayed couldn't be more perfect for visual impact! So pleased to see this through your lens Sharon, merci beaucoup ✨