Sunday, August 5, 2018

A Relaxing Place at the Art Museum



When I visited Santa Fe last June, I couldn't believe that I had never visited the New Mexico Museum of Art before.  Even though it is situated right in the heart of Santa Fe, I had somehow missed the gem in this past.


























The museum is in a beautifully designed, southwestern style building that encircles one of the prettiest courtyards I'd ever seen.


In fact, I spent quite a bit of time sitting in the courtyard enjoying the gurgling of the water feature in the center and admiring the beautifully landscaped garden.


I listened to the birds singing and I finally spotted this little fellow who had an exceptionally strong voice for such a small creature.  I felt like he was singing just for me.


The museum opened it's doors on November 24th, 1917 which makes it one hundred years old.


This display case full of marionettes intrigued me.  I learned that these hand carved puppets were given to the museum in 1978 by the widow of Gustave Baurmann.  He made each of them and used them to entertain his daughter and her friends in Santa Fe.  


Walking into another room, I saw this beautifully displayed set of paintings and more hand-carved figures that were parading around a town square.


The sculpture garden was another peaceful and quiet place to enjoy the craftsmanship of the variety of sculptors.


I think the R. C. Gorman sculpture called Seated Navajo Woman was my favorite.  It has such a life-like appeal.


But before I left the museum, I took one more look at the beautiful courtyard.  

I'll make sure I don't miss this place on any future trips to beautiful Santa Fe.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, such memories! I have spent many evenings in the courtyard listening to concerts on a summer evening. I wonder if they still perform there. And, the Gorman statue is magnificent, isn't it?!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I had a feeling this beautiful museum would be dear to Kate ✨ It really is a beautiful space Sharon, to be enjoyed many times. The Navajo sculpture is fabulous!

William Kendall said...

The architecture and courtyard are works of art in and of themselves.

diane b said...

That is one unique museum. I like the hanging bunches of chillies (I think they are chillies). The sculptures are great too. Thanks for visiting my blog.