Sunday, November 7, 2021

Discovering Hudson Yards

 


When I was in New York three years ago in 2018, I noticed a building that I could see from the hotel window.  The thing that caught my eye was what looked like a triangular shaped structure jutting out from the side of the building.  I posted photos of it here but I didn't know what or where it was located. I just knew it looked like it was still under construction.

A little over a year ago, I read about a huge art installation called "Vessel" that was opening in New York and that article led me to learning the building I was curious about was part of development called Hudson Yards.





 When preparing for my recent trip to New York City, I did some investigating and found there was a restaurant located at the top of that mysterious building so I made a dinner reservation there.

The first thing I wanted to see upon arrival was the art installation.  I had been reading about it and the artist who created it, Thomas Heatherwick.  I was curious to see it in person.












It is described as a 16-story free standing structure of connected staircases.  When it first opened in 2020, people were able to climb to the top of it.  However, after a series of suicides happened from the top of the structure, they no longer allow people to climb it.

I enjoyed seeing it from my ground level view.  To me it looks a bit like a bee hive.  










Behind "Vessel" was another building I had read about, this one called "The Shed".  This one houses a space to be used for performances and exhibitions.  The thing that makes it unique is its retractable shell.  All of that area that is lighted, slides back to open the exhibition space to the outside.


After exploring this plaza, I took one last look at the "Vessel" before making my way to the restaurant for my dinner reservation.

















The restaurant called simply "Peak" is located on the 103rd floor of the building.  It proved to be an excellent place to dine with excellent food and service. And of course, a fabulous view.


Before we were seated at our table, they asked if we would like to visit the observation deck located two floors below the restaurant.  That is where I got a few photos of the New York City skyline with a full moon in the sky.



There were quite a few people enjoying the views from the observation deck.  Some were even brave enough to venture out onto the section of the floor made of glass.  

All things considered, it was a wonderful evening.  I'd do it again.