Sunday, September 5, 2021

Patagonia

 

Several years ago, I was on a road trip in Southern Arizona when I came upon this small town of Patagonia.  It's a very small place with a population of around 900.  The town is about 18 miles from the Mexican border and a little over an hour's drive south of Tucson.  Above is the historic train depot for Patagonia.  As you can see, the train no longer stops here.



For such a small place, I found lots of interesting things to photograph.  These two doors caught my eye.
































This two story, adobe brick building was also of interest.  I haven't seen many adobe buildings that are two stories tall.  


This colorful gate made a very appealing photograph.  I'm not sure what was behind the gate.  I'm going to assume a house was back there somewhere among all those trees.  


I stopped in to a little cafe to get some lunch.  It was the only cafe in town and everyone else in the cafe all knew each other.  Even the sheriff stopped in and visited with some other guests.  I was the only stranger in town and I sat quietly and enjoyed my lunch.  

3 comments:

Andy said...

The town looks interesting. The picture on the wall of photo number two caught my eye.

William Kendall said...

It looks like a place with character.

Catalyst said...

I probably shouldn't tell this story but . . . many, many decades ago some friends joined us for a weekend in Nogales. We heard about a 4th of July celebration in Patagonia, just 18 miles away, and decided to go to it. But first we indulged in some Mari-Mari Balls (chocolate wrapped peanut butter and sauteed marijuana). Remember I said it was a long time ago. Eating the devil weed takes longer to have an impact than smoking it, we learned. It kicked in while we were watching the parade in Patagonia. Then we had to drive back to Nogales for the night. My companion said it was the longest 18 mile drive of his life. But lots of laughs, even now, many years later.