Sunday, January 10, 2021

The Town With the Macabre Name

 


In northern Arizona, about 17 miles west of Prescott is a town called Skull Valley Arizona.  

You might just call it a blip on the road because if you blink you might miss it.  Skull Valley  is a very small, rural ranching community with around 750 residents by one count.  



























If you happen to pass through this small place, you will see a general store on one side of the road and a gas station on the other side.  The School house sits behind the tall grass in my first photo.




But the land in this part of the state is quite beautiful with huge, old cottonwood trees dominating the scene.


This gate that appears to go nowhere adds to the mystery of the place.













My favorite view in the small town, is across the railroad tracks and over to the entrance to a local ranch.  I love the way the those trees line the driveway.

There is just something so appealing about traveling through a tunnel made of beautiful trees.  

I've stopped at that general store in the photo above and found the owner to be very friendly and informative.  So in spite of its grim name, I'd say that this little town is a pleasant stop along the road.  It's a friendly, informal place with some stunning scenery.  

7 comments:

Andy said...

Strange name but a interesting place to explore.

Travel said...

There are so many places to go and see, I fantasize about taking six months and driving the back roads and small towns.

William Kendall said...

What a name.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The landscape is very beautiful indeed. I wonder how many more small towns like this go unnoticed and how many will slowly become ghost towns as young folk move away.

Catalyst said...

I love the road that takes one through Skull Valley. It was the home of the western artist George Phippen. And the name comes from the discovery of human remains from a foregone battle between Native Americans. The OLD West was not always as scenic as the present.

Thérèse said...

Indeed: what a name and your second picture reminds me the image I saw on one of the rioters a few days ago on TV...
Beautiful pictures which make me want to visit this place.

betty-NZ said...

I always enjoy stopping at places like this! You never know what you will find! This little gem is amazing :)

Feel free to share at My Corner of the World