Sunday, October 6, 2019

Inside the Milan Duomo


I have to admit that I didn't expect to like Milan as much as I did.  I had heard too many people say it wasn't there favorite city in Italy.  I found the city to be beautiful with an amazing selection of architecture both ancient and new.  One place that I found stunningly beautiful was the Milan Duomo. What a gorgeous building.


The outside of the church is completely covered with statues and reliefs of saints and biblical scenes. It was hard to take it all in.


The inside of the church is impressive in size and stature.  I loved those pillars with the statues circling the tops.


The alter and tabernacle were impressive at the top of the presbytery.


The most unusual thing I saw inside the cathedral was the statue of a flayed St. Bartholomew.  He looks pretty creepy.































If you walk to the side of the statue, you see a head hanging behind him and what looks like a robe draped over his shoulder is actually his skin.  Yikes...that really is creepy.

I guess St. Bartholomew was actually flayed alive and beheaded for the crime of converting the King of Armenia to Christianity.  I'm fairly certain that the punishment did not fit the crime.

The statue was carved by Marco d'Agrate in 1562.  













Aside from the creepy statue of St. Bartholomew, everything else about the duomo is breathtaking.  And, when it was lit up a night, it was even more beautiful.

Next week I'll take you on a tour of the roof of the cathedral.  That was an experience I'm glad I took advantage of.  

7 comments:

Andy said...

I enjoyed looking at everyone of the photos but the night scene attracted my attention the most.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

The Milan Duomo is stunningly beautiful inside and out Sharon, such complicated details. I agree, the sculpture is super creepy, harsh punishments in those days ✨

William Kendall said...

Utterly magnificent!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Tiene un gran arte, los detalles que se aprecian son maravillosos.

LuiZ FernandoS said...

Michelangelo painted St Bartholomew on the wall of Sistine Chapel with his skin hanging from his hand. Some believe that Michelangelo used that skin to represent himself.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Last_judgement.jpg/198px-Last_judgement.jpg

Catalyst said...

Yikes! I don't think I needed to know about St. Bart that way. But the Duomo is absolutely stunning, especially those huge pillars and the night view.

Kay said...

Stunning place - beautiful shots! (I'm not sure St. Bartholomew would have caught my eye. Wow.)