Sunday, September 24, 2017

Sunday at Leadenhall Market


Leadenhall Market is located in the City of London right in the heart of all those iconic high-rise buildings that shape the unique skyline of England's largest city.


If you visit this place on a weekday, it's so full of people that it can be difficult to navigate.  I was there on my last trip to London right at lunch time.  These lanes were so crowded that picture taking was almost impossible, so I dug out these photos from my 2013 trip.  On that trip, I strolled the area on Sunday and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.


My 2013 trip was in late November so everyone was getting into the Christmas spirit which explains the tree and icicle lights.




Leadenhall Market dates back to the 14th Century and is one of the oldest markets in London.  In those early days it was full of butchers, cheesemongers and florists.  Today you will find all kinds of places to eat which explains the lunch time crowds I experienced on my last trip to London.  After all,  those thousands of people who fill all those high-rise buildings need a place for a quick lunch before they head back to work.  What could be better than this ornate pedestrian center with the very long history.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

A marvelous and appealing place!

Lowell said...

Great photos of an intriguing place. I'll bet you could browse for days in there. This reminds me a small indoor mall on the Champs d'Elysee we found accidentally on a rainy afternoon in Paris.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You were lucky to find it so quiet Sharon, gives us a chance to appreciate the architectural features, makes all the difference I'm sure that it's a covered market.

Lois said...

It is so lovely Sharon and your photos are wonderful! I can just imagine how crowded it must be at other times though.

Catalyst said...

Kind of reminds me of Covent Garden.