Sunday, September 3, 2017

Robe Maker to Kings and Queens


When I was planning my trip to London last year, I knew that I wanted to spend some time exploring the "temple" area in London where so much of the legal profession is housed and so much history is to be found.  While doing my planning research, I stumbled on to some information about a business called Edes & Ravenscroft.  What caught my eye was the fact that they made those wigs that barristers and judges wear in the British courtrooms.


I decided that since I would be in the neighborhood anyway, a quick visit to their store might also be interesting.


I wasn't disappointed.  Edes and Ravenscroft is thought to be the oldest firm of tailors in the world.  They can trace their roots back to 1689 when they were making wigs and ceremonial robes for the royal family.  They created the coronation robes for Their Majesties William and Mary.


Today they continue the tradition, making wigs for the legal profession as well as the silk robes used in courtroom settings.  In addition, they hold 3 Royal Warrants, one form Queen Elizabeth, one from the Duke of Edinburgh and one form the Prince of Wales.


I do love learning about these little bits of English culture.  I guess that makes me a true anglophile.

4 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You really can't get more 'jolly what ho' English than this Sharon ☺

Lois said...

How interesting Sharon. What a wonderful place to visit!

William Kendall said...

Quite a place!

Catalyst said...

What a beautiful shop. I can well imagine the barrister Rumpole of the Bailey getting his wigs and robes there. (I always thank Rumpole for giving me the sobriquet for my Judy: She Who Must Be Obeyed.)