Sunday, January 8, 2017

400 Year History


I've been thinking a lot about visiting Santa Fe New Mexico again after I learned that American Airlines recently introduced direct flights to the city from Phoenix.  Whenever I travel there,  I like to stay at the La Fonda Hotel, the only hotel located right on the Plaza in Santa Fe.  It was named the 2016 Best Historic Hotel in It's Class by Historic Hotels of America.


The hotel has a very warm and authentic New Mexico style that is both welcoming and comforting.  It is located on the site of town's first inn dating back to when the town was founded by Spaniards in 1607.  That makes it the oldest hotel "corner" in America.


On my last trip to Santa Fe, my room looked over the famous Loretto Chapel.  I posted about the chapel back in 2015.

Today's hotel was built in 1922 with architecture influenced by Mary Colter and John Gaw Meem.  Original elements can be seen throughout the hotel including hand carved beams and stained glass.  In 1925, the hotel was acquired by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad and leased to Fred Harvey who was renowned for his sense of hospitality and service.

The La Fonda remained a "Harvey House" until 1968.  I have a post about "Harvey House" hotels here.









The last time I was there, I had a wonderful dinner in the main dining room which is surrounded by stained glass window panes.


The food was superb and the service the same.  If you find yourself in Santa Fe, I highly recommend the La Fonda.  You won't find a hotel more centrally located.  The wonderful atmosphere of Santa Fe is right outside the doors with museums, galleries and historic spots just steps away.

4 comments:

Lowell said...

It is quite clear that you are especially fonda of La Fonda! And from your photos, I can see why. If I ever get to Santa Fe, I shall check out the place. But at my advanced age and general condition, that is not likely to happen, so I'll just sit back and enjoy your photographic tour!

BTW, I'm back on Blogger as Weebly.com didn't work out. And as I've told others, I know I'm an idiot and you can go ahead and laugh and it won't bother me at all. 😢

Heh, heh.

Catalyst said...

I too have fond memories of La Fonda. I never stayed there but I believe we had a drink there once.

William Kendall said...

The stained glass really is a beautiful sight.

Lois said...

How beautiful! I love those stained glass window panes. It looks like a wonderful place to stay.