Sunday, December 13, 2020

A New York Landmark

 

St. Patrick's Cathedral is a New York City landmark and easily spotted across the street from Rockefeller Center and the Atlas Statue.  

I passed by this famous church many times on trips to New York but I didn't venture inside until my last trip to New York 2 years ago.

















The church was built in 1879 in the Neo-gothic style which makes it look quite grand when you walk through the doors.

I didn't realize until I read about it that there is a crypt under the high altar where many archbishops and other notable people are buried.


























There weren't as many adornments as I've seen in other famous churches of the world but, I did admire this mosaic that I found in one alcove. 

































It is truly a beautiful building and well worth a peek inside if you happen to be wandering along Fifth Avenue in New York City.  

5 comments:

Janey and Co. said...

I haven’t been inside either. I was invited to a wedding there but was unable to attend. Beautiful.

Travel said...

We were there 2 or 3 years ago, this month, on a Saturday afternoon, there was a wedding taking place.

Gemel said...

They don't make them like that anymore! A work of art.

Catalyst said...

The interior shots (2nd and last ones) are wonderful.

William Kendall said...

Spectacular!