Sunday, October 11, 2020

Roadside Attractions

 

Last year at this time, I took a road trip to New Mexico to tour the Very Large Array, the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.  I did a post about it here.  The array is located along a very remote stretch of  U.S. 60, a relatively quiet stretch of highway.  After my tour, I headed back west toward Arizona and as I passed through Pie Town (yes that really is the town's name), a very tiny little community I saw some strange contraptions near the road.

It looked like a graveyard for farm equipment, mostly windmills. So I pulled over to the side of the road to get a closer look and to take a few photos.  It wasn't long before another car pulled over behind me a woman got out with exactly the same curiosity I had.  So there we were, two curious women with cameras in hand snapping a few photos before we headed on our way.


There was no sign or anything else to identify what this place was so after I had snapped these photos, I drove on.  Recently I did some internet searching and I found a blog site that did a post about this very place back in 2018.  That post even had a photo of the sign for a place called DanCyn' Windmill Museum.  You see that post here.  I wonder what happened to that sign because I didn't see one when I was there.  The museum may have been gone but the windmills were still there.

The next town I came to was another tiny place called Quemado New Mexico.  That's where I saw this wonderful old Spanish style mission-like church.  The sign in front calls it the Sacred Heart Church with mass at 9:00 AM. 

I love a good road trip especially on roads less traveled where you can see so much more.  I might have taken this trip for one purpose but I came home with lots of different memories.  

  

3 comments:

Travel said...

I was raised in rural Michigan, a lot of the farms still had working windmills pumping water, from before electricity came to the farms. Love the old Mission. A road trip off of the expressways can be so fun.

Catalyst said...

I've been on that road too but don't recall seeing either one of those roadside attractions.

William Kendall said...

Very eclectic!