Sunday, November 17, 2019

The Unique Beauty of Venice


I've been thinking a lot about Venice this week since its plight has been in the news.  In case you haven't heard, they are seeing the worst flooding in 50 years.  Water is 6.14 feet above sea level which is the second highest level ever recorded in the city.


I'm am so thankful that I was able to visit the beautiful city without having to experience even a little bit of water in the streets. 


So I am dedicating this post to the city I got explore and to enjoy to the fullest.  It's a beautiful place with significant historical value that is being seriously threatened by the effects of climate change which have exacerbated the all ready well-documented evidence that the city is gradually sinking.


It has been stated that St. Mark's Basilica has sustained serious damage.  It's sad to think of such a beautiful building being damaged so significantly. 


When I was there, I enjoyed all the narrow waterways and the equally narrow side streets.  These places are so picturesque and gave me a respite from the main streets that were at times crowded with tourists like myself.





























Right now, with the flood waters rising, these wonderful gondolas are not taking passengers on the magical rides that everyone loves so much.



I'm hoping that the people of Venice are safe and that they will once again recover from this latest setback.  My experience in this wonderful city was perfect in every way.  I enjoyed the unique beauty of the city as well as the arts and crafts produced there.  Here's hoping things can be done to preserve this place for generations to come.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Glad you have these photos to remember Venice before the flooding.

William Kendall said...

A magical place. And fragile.

Lois said...

I have been worrying about Venice too. It is such a beautiful and unique place. When I was there with my son and few years ago, the weather was perfect and the city was not flooded at all. I am taking my daughter there next summer and I'm hoping it will be ok.

Catalyst said...

Considering that the damages are in the billion euro range already, the reported cost of around a million euros to complete the underwater flood protection system would seem to be a necessary expense. If the city can overcome it's corruption. The flooding is sad to see.