Sunday, September 2, 2018

Santa Fe, A City Full of Art


When I was in Santa Fe earlier this year, I couldn't leave town without a visit to Museum Hill, that hilltop oasis full of museums and some of the greatest examples of Native American art.  My first museum visit was at the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian.


This museum is known for it's focus on little-known genres and for solo exhibits by living Native American artists.


When I was there, the main exhibit was by artist and teacher, Melanie Yazzie.  She has art in museums all over the world from Santa Fe to Washington D.C. all the way to Australia.  This exhibit was called "Memory Weaving" and included these whimsical metal works that were on the outside of the museum.


Inside the museum we found her paintings, prints and a few ceramic pieces.



I loved the almost child-like works that featured animals.


Another group of her paintings were filled with floating numbers all around the scene.  These refer to her struggles with Type II diabetes.  She was quoted as saying "there's a whole conversation in the numbers that I feel is really important and when I travel to different places it seems to be a common illness within the indigenous community and also in the wider community.  It helps me connect with the people."

Melanie Yazzie is a teacher who is currently head of the printmaking department at the University of Colorado in Boulder.  She used to teach at the University of Arizona in Tucson, so she has a connection to my home state.


I think my favorite part of the museum was located on the lower level.  It's the gift shop that was built to replicate an authentic Native American Trading Post.  It is called the Case Trading Post and it features contemporary craft and fine arts by Native American artists.  This shop was authentic all the way down to the creaking wooden floors.


I loved shopping in there and listening to the boards creek as I walked from one display case to another.  I was amazed by everything I saw from carvings to paintings to fabulous jewelry.  I even came home with a new necklace that I have grown to love!  

4 comments:

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful museum!

Catalyst said...

I'm sure you know that the name Yazzie goes back through generations of great Navajo artists. It's interesting to see her works illustrating a new age and style of artistry.

Greg Prosmushkin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lois said...

The artwork is beautiful. I think my favorite shot is the one showing the three animal paintings!