Sunday, June 3, 2018

The Collection!


I feel as though I'd be terribly remiss if I told you all about the Chihuly Garden and Glass place without mentioning "The Collection".  It seems that Dale Chihuly is quite the collector and he doesn't stop and collecting just one thing.  He seems to collect everything.  The restaurant at his wonderful museum in Seattle is where he displays his vast collection of "things".



We'll start the viewing with the accordions.  Quite a lot of accordions!  They hang from the ceiling of the restaurant creating a beautifully abstract design above our heads.


Chihuly started collecting things when he was just a boy but more recently has expanded his collection to include a vast array of vintage items like this collection of clock radios.  He is motivated by shapes and colors so I can see why this collection would appeal to him.  Do you see one up there that looks familiar?  I did.  They very much reminded me of the old olive green radio that belonged to my mother and dad when I was growing up.


Restaurant guests eat at glass topped tables and below the glass is another collection of vintage items like the toy cars and trucks above and the shaving brushes to the left.






























How about a collection of vintage cameras?  Remember these?




You don't have to visit the restaurant with only the collection in mind.  You should also visit for the food.  The food was delicious and beautifully served.  I had an exceptionally good salad while I saw mouthwatering burgers and sandwiches pass by the table as I ate.


Remember long before cell phones and iPods how we used to listen to music on  pocket radios?  This was a collection that brought back all kinds of memories.  

10 comments:

Sami said...

What a beautiful and fascinanting restaurant! Love the under table displays, and he sure has a lot of collections.
Now I don't feel bad about my small collections, that aren't probably worth 1% of his collections.

biebkriebels said...

I have a husband with the same hobby... collections of cameras etc. etc....

biebkriebels said...

P.S. maybe we should start a restaurant too :)

Andy said...

Holy cow! What a collection!

Lowell said...

Fantastic! And I remember all of those things; in fact, I owned a number of them! Where did he put this massive collection as he was collecting, though? Great fun, Sharon!

Judy Ryer said...

Now, that is a fun idea! What a unique place!

William Kendall said...

I find myself wondering what my dad, who's played the accordion for the better part of his adult life, would make of them like that!

RedPat said...

I totally love all of this stuff, Sharon! I want it all! ;-))

Thérèse said...

A unique way to show collections.

Catalyst said...

That man has too much fun!