Sunday, April 29, 2018

Sunnylands Center & Garden (part 1)

I had been wanting to visit Sunnylands, the western estate of Walter and Leonore Annenberg ever since I learned about it around two years ago.  Even though the visitor center and gardens are open to the public, it was that extraordinary mid-century modern home with its history of celebrated guests which have included U.S. Presidents, world leaders, celebrities and even Queen Elizabeth and other members of the Royal Family, that really appealed to me.  Tours of the home itself are done during periods when the house isn't busy with meetings and the tickets for tours during a certain month are not released until the 15th of the prior month.  So, unless you live near the Palm Springs California area, that short window makes it difficult to plan a visit.  I finally got my opportunity and I grabbed it.


The magic started for me just after entering the gate leading toward the visitors center.  The driveway was lined with palo verde trees and luckily I was there at blooming season so I was swept up the driveway on a cloud of yellow.


I checked in for the tour at the visitors center and then wandered around the garden enjoying the gorgeous desert landscaping.






Aloe plants were strategically planted along the paths that were shaded by the palo verde and mesquite trees with a few Texas Ebony trees mixed in.



The visitors center was opened in 2012 and was built to mirror the architecture of the home.  The glass walls make you forget you are indoors and the lava stone walls match those in the house itself.

The visitors center is where the various tour groups meet and it also provides a cafe for light meals and a gift shop.






















There is also a small gallery located inside the visitors center where changing exhibits are on display for visitors to enjoy.



The visitors center also provided displays on the wall with highlights of the many people who have visited here both during the lifetime of the Annenbergs and now that the center is open for diplomatic retreats.

Walter Annenberg was a businessman, investor and U.S. diplomat who served as Ambassador to London for a period of time.  His wife Leonore served as Chief of Protocol of the United States from 1981 to 1982.  Both were philanthropists in the arts and education among other interests.

In 2001, the Annenbergs finalized documents establishing the Annenberg Foundation Trust at Sunnylands.  The foundation's intent was to turn the home into the "Camp David" of the west and to make it available to the public.  The estate is available to the President of the United States, the Secretary of State, the bipartisan leadership of Congress, the Supreme Court and other leaders for intimate, high-level retreats where experts with diverse perspectives can engage in creative problem solving.  It is certainly and inspiring place to visit.

Next Sunday, I'll post about the house tour.  Although photography was not allowed inside the house, it was encouraged on the outside and I'll be able to show you the beauty that surrounds this mid-century marvel.

3 comments:

Lowell said...

Zounds, what a fine place. It's a little different than my western estate which doesn't yet exist but in my mind. I'm impressed by all the big names that have been there. I don't think our government engages in "creative problem solving" anymore! Too bad you couldn't shoot indoors but you did a great job from the outside! Thanks for sharing this. I like it much better than that gaudy, ugly Mar-a-Lago. We used to drive by the latter all the time when going up to Palm Beach for take photos.

William Kendall said...

Wow! A stunning and marvelous place to explore!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I'm excited Sharon.. I love the gardens, the yellow flowering trees are glorious, but I can't wait to see the house!