Sunday, February 18, 2018

International Buskers


I'm sure that everyone who travels has seen buskers or street performers wherever they go.  There are certainly some places like Trafalgar Square in London for instance, where you will find many of them all at one time.

I think I've seen this "floating Yoda" every time I've gone to London.



















The seated-in-mid-air, floating man was a new one to me. I hadn't seen him in the past.
































But buskers aren't just found in central London, you can find them all over the world.  In Paris I saw this happy accordion player at one end of the Pont de Sully bridge.  His distinctly French melodies were luring tourists from every direction.



























The headless man in Rome was found near Castle Sant' Angelo and he was drawing quite a crowd.  The young boys above were in awe of the fellow without a head.






























In Siena, this pretty young girl was singing some Medieval melodies and with her period clothing, she fit right in with her ancient surroundings.


Back in London, I bet many visitors remember seeing the man playing the bagpipes on the Westminster Bridge.  He's there most days to entertain the tourists crossing the bridge.



























I think my favorite busker of all I've seen was spotted on my last trip to London in a cozy little corner along the South Bank.  He was playing his tuba with so much gusto that flames were coming out of the top.  That was probably the most unique form of street entertainment I've seen in quite a while.

How about you?  Have you seen any interesting buskers on your travels?

8 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Yes, you see them everywhere over the world. In Amsterdam I have seen a simular sitting man with the stick. But the city councel has made some restrictions, they need a permit now, as the street is not a circus for every lonatic who thinks he can play music.

Lowell said...

You could do an entire retrospective with these photos! Fantastic and what great fun and I thank you for showing them because I'm beyond the ability to travel to these places so your photography is like a glass of cold pure water to a thirsty man!

Judy Ryer said...

That was a fun series of pictures!

William Kendall said...

We have them, particularly in summer, and especially during our busker festival.

The headless man is my favourite here!

Thérèse said...

Happiness all along!

Lois said...

That tuba player is funny! I've seen buskers everywhere I've been. The rudest one I've ever seen though was this past summer in Vienna just outside of the Schonbrunn Palace. He had an umbrella with him and if anyone attempted to take a photo of him without first dropping money in his basket, he would open the umbrella and block them from doing it while hurling nasty comments their way!

Catalyst said...

Walking in the streets of Old Town San Remo, Italy, once I came upon a young man playing guitar (and singing in perfect English) "Hotel California"!

Jack said...

I guess I am not getting out very much any more, Sharon. It has been a while since I came across buskers. But, I will be in London for a couple of days this summer, so maybe I can rectify that deficiency.