Sunday, October 8, 2017

One Hot Day at the Grand Canyon


When I made that trip to the Grand Canyon back in July, I was mostly interested in experiencing the historic train ride so I only planned on the one day at the canyon.  I've visited the canyon many times before and will most likely be up there again sometime soon.


However, my one day at the canyon this time was hampered a bit the excessive heat that day.  This part of our state usually boasts more moderate temperatures than we see in the southern half but, on this particular day we were having a bit of a heat wave.  The result was that I didn't get to hike as many trails as I would have liked.


To escape from the heat, I enjoyed lunch inside the El Tovar Hotel, a historic hotel that opened its doors in 1905, before the area became a National Park.  It's situated right on the edge of the canyon so the rooms facing that side have some pretty spectacular views.


The rustic interior of the hotel has that wonderful "mountain cabin" feel to it.  It exudes a friendly warmth and a welcoming atmosphere.


Next door to the hotel is the Hopi House, another historic structure that was built in 1904 and is one of many projects designed by Mary Colter inside the Grand Canyon Park.


It was built as a place to market Native American crafts made by Hopi artisans who were the historic inhabitants of the area.  Today it still serves that same purpose and a little stroll through the artwork here was another escape from the searing heat.


Outside the Hopi House is a staging area where Native American performances are available for guest to enjoy.


I saw this colorful group waiting for their turn to perform.


Back on the trail, I saw this young couple making their own photographic memory of this remarkable place.



Hotels, historic structures and traditional performances aside, the true star of this area is still the wide expanse and ever changing colors of that spectacular canyon.  It is a canyon that comes by its "Grand" moniker quite deservedly.  

7 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

The Grand Canyon looks amazing in photos so I can only imagine how awesome it must be to stand there and look out on to it in person, wonderful shots Sharon.

Lowell said...

I've been there a number of times but that was a long time ago. I'd love to visit again. I do remember some fearsome trails that wind down into the canyon and some deer wandering through the trees and not much else. I think the last time we were there was when Lois Anne was pregnant with our son who is now 57 years old! :)

Judy Ryer said...

Always an awesome place to visit.

William Kendall said...

Jaw droppingly beautiful. I must see it for myself someday.

Thérèse said...

Such a unique place and each time different.

Lois said...

Gorgeous photos Sharon and you are reminding me that I need to go back. My one and only visit was years ago in the winter time and we took one of those plane ride tours over the canyon. The views were so spectacular that I forgot how scared I was of that tiny little plane!

Catalyst said...

I must make another visit there soon. I even have the Senior Card which gets me in free. I love the Hopi House and the El Tovar, though I've never dined there. That's another Bucket List thing I have to do. Many years ago when I was a t.v. reporter I did a story in the Kolb Studios and may have interviewed one of the brothers. The Canyon is a great place.