Sunday, February 15, 2015

A French Quarter Landmark



Located next to Jackson Square and facing the Mississippi River stands this grand church building.  It's official name is the Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France but everyone just calls it the Saint Louis Cathedral.  It is actually one of the oldest cathedrals in the United States.

A church was built on this site in 1718 and a third church built in the same spot in 1789.  It was designated a cathedral in 1793 and was enlarged and substantially rebuilt in 1850.  Only fragments of the 1789 structure remain.

I took this photo around 18 years ago.  It's been that long since I've been to New Orleans.  I guess I need to go back again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I imagine this hasn't changed much in 18 years, wonderful building!

Kate said...

Wonderful photo of a beautiful church in a great city!!

Mersad said...

I love the film style of the shot. These older images always have a special feel to them.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

William Kendall said...

It is magnificent!