Saturday, August 10, 2013

Walking on a glacier


During the summer of 1989 I took a trip to Canada traveling with my parents in their brand new motorhome.  One of the stops we made was at the Athabasca Glacier which is part of the Columbia Icefields in the Canadian Rockies.  These giant "Terra Buses" take passenger up onto the glacier where you can get out and walk on that ancient ice.  That's my mom and dad in the photo above.

According to Wikipedia, in 2005 this place had the largest fleet of these snow coaches with only 2 others operating in Antarctica.

I occurred to me as I was writing this that back in 1989, Wikipedia didn't exist.  Now there is something to think about.

5 comments:

Judy said...

I didn't know that Mom and Dad did that. Dad must have been freezing!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Besides the internet, another difference might be the size of the glacier, at it is likely smaller today.

I don't know why, but I a times think of the fact that my parents lived from the time of the introduction of radio until after the internet. Technology does not move at glacial speed.

Lowell said...

No Wikipedia and this picture was not taken with a digital camera! The pace of change if frightening. I remember reading back in the 1990s that about 75% of all the knowledge in the world has been obtained since 1950.

I'm not sure about walking on glaciers but this doesn't look too dangerous. Tough-looking bus!

Catalyst said...

No Wikipedia then, perhaps no glacier today.

Unknown said...

Fantastic! My only experience with glaciers were at the opposite end of the American continent.