Friday, August 16, 2013

Colonia del Sacramento


The historic district of Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay has been designated as a World Heritage site.  There you will find the Porton de Campo, the old city gate.


The city's history is a continuous back and forth battle between the Portuguese and Spanish from 1680 on.  In 1828 it became part of the independent country of Uruguay.  The city is a photographer's paradise with beautiful sites around every corner.  I'll show more photos from here in the future.  It was one of my favorite South American stops.

8 comments:

Andy said...

The wall and the gate are very dramatic. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I remember well the pleasant day trip from Buenos Aires when you and I visited Colonia del Sacramento,

Kate said...

Very good that preservation is given priority.

Unknown said...

I haven't visited Uruguay but from all I've seen in photos and documentaries, there still are many remnants of the Portuguese at Colonia del Sacramento.

Judy said...

I can see why you liked it. Such beauty in the ancient walls and gate.

Catalyst said...

I can't wait.

Thérèse said...

It looks as if it had been consolidated. I like to see such great places taken care of and photographed too. I'll wait for more.

Lowell said...

I wonder if this wall went all the way around the city. It's very dramatic the way it's built with all those stones. You remind me how little I know of our world and that's true of too many Americans.

I'll look forward to more photos of this lush and beautiful place, too!