Sunday, February 18, 2024

Night Visit to Covent Garden

 

One evening when I was in London, I took an after dinner stroll around Covent Garden.  I was surprised at how quiet it was.  On past trips to this part of London it has always been a busy place.  However, the lack of huge crowds made it easier to snap a few photos. 



It was mid-October but it looks like they are in the process of putting up the holiday decorations.

I loved the sign above the entrance at the far end of this photo.  It's for the Punch & Judy pub just on the other side of the doorway.  Apparently it's a tourist pub that has been there for a very long time.












There was a musician playing in front of St. Pauls Church and I stopped to listen along with all these other people.  A short stop for some very good live entertainment was nice treat.  


I snapped this photo along the side of St. Pauls church.  The statue was brilliantly lit but the area was closed off for construction.

I discovered that this statue was originally commissioned by the Dean of St. Paul's Cathedral.  It sat on display near the cathedral for 3 months and then was moved to his location at St. Pauls Church.

It was created by Bruce Denny and depicts. St. Paul the moment when he is struck by the light on the road to Damascus.  That must explain why such a bright light is shining on this statue.  It's called "The Conversion of St. Paul".

Next week, I'll show you my destination on this trip to Covent Garden.

1 comment:

Travel said...

I have walked through that area, but it was so crowded that I didn't really explore it. I should go back at times when it is easier to look around.