Sunday, May 22, 2022

Wandering Around Milan

 

Milan is one city in Italy that wasn't on my list of places to visit but since it is close to the Lake Como area, that is where I landed on my last trip to Italy.  I am certainly glad that I took the time to explore this city before heading further north.  The Milan Duomo is a must see.  You can see more about this spectacular church here.  I even took the opportunity to explore the view from the roof top.  You can see a post about that here.



Here are two photos I took from the roof of the Duomo. Above is an Italian flag flying over the rooftops.  

To the right, a very odd looking building on the horizon above those rooftops.




























I stood and listened to this group play for a little while.  They found a good spot to perform right next to the Duomo and they were wonderful to listen to.

To the left is a view from the courtyard garden at the Monastery of Santa Maria Delle Grazie, where the Last Supper is housed.  


























Above is a street scene where you can see a modern skyscraper looming over the much older buildings.  

Leonardo da Vinci spent a lot of time in Milan and made great contributions to the city.  It's appropriate that there should be a monument honoring him.


























I had lunch one day at a very nice sidewalk cafe that was facing this green space between two streets.  In the center was this spectacular sculpture by Amado Pomodoro called Grande Disco.  I love Pomodoro's sculptures so it was a pleasure to have this view while enjoying lunch.  

You can see the Pomodoro sculpture at The Vatican here.  And, you can see the one we have in Phoenix here.  



3 comments:

Travel said...

I could spend a month wandering those streets

William Kendall said...

I would love to see Milan.

Catalyst said...

Pomodoro's sculpture's are truly "monumental". I believe I've seen the one at the Phoenix library.