Sunday, October 13, 2019

Getting High in Milan


I posted about visiting the Milan duomo last week and this week I'm posting about the view from its roof.  Visitors can get a ticket to go up on the roof of the duomo and walk among the spires, statues, carvings and gargoyles.  The photo above was my first view after exiting the elevator that takes visitors up on top. I could see down on the plaza and the crowds below had turned to tiny dots.



The elevator takes you most of the way but, there are a few stairs left to climb once you are up there.  It's well worth the effort to be able to get lost in this breathtaking forest of marble and have a close encounter with a gargoyle.


Once up there, if you want, you can sit for a while and just admire all that beautifully carved marble against a sapphire blue sky.






























At one spot, there is a telescope so you can get a close look at the beautiful Golden Madonna, the symbol of Milan atop the tallest spire on the roof.

I didn't need the telescope, I just zoomed in.


























I was lucky that I to got see a work crew giving one of the hundreds of statues a bit of a clean up.  


While up there, it's nice to also be able to enjoy an outstanding view over the city.  There are not many public places with a view like this.  The top of the duomo is the best place to get high in the city of Milan.

4 comments:

William Kendall said...

Majestic!

Kay said...

Wow! What a great place to get a perspective! And what a perspective it is!

Catalyst said...

Oh my. Beautiful but not for someone with a fear of heights I suspect.

Thérèse said...

Unique!