Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Ultimate Medieval German Village

 

Rothenburg ob der Tauber has been called the best preserved walled town in Germany.  You might be able to tell from the cars on the street that these photos were taken a long time ago.  My photos today are from that set of slides I recently found from my very first trip to Europe in 1985.  Looking at this photo made me wonder if that gentleman on the right still has that photo he took all those years ago.  I have mine so it is very possible that he does too.


I remember little bits from my visit here.  I certainly remember visiting the Christmas store.  I purchased two little ornaments from this place that decorated my Christmas trees for years.  
















I also remember buying a bratwurst sandwich from a street vendor and marveling at how much it tasted like the one's a friend back in Phoenix would make from time to time.  He had familial German roots.


I recently watched a Rick Steve's travel episode about Germany that featured a visit to this town.  I loved the way he described the place.  Rick Steve's first visited here was as a young backpacker back in the mid 70's.  

Here is his description today:

"At that time, the town still fed a few farm animals within its medieval walls.  Today its barns are hotels, its livestock are tourists and Rothenburg is well on its way to becoming a medieval theme park."

With that said, he still encourages visitors to go because it truly is a beautiful place to visit and enjoy as well as being the best example of Germany in the Middle Ages.  









One great tip he did provide was to actually stay at one of the hotels in the city.  He said that 2.5 million people visit each year but only 500,000 actually spend the night.  If you want to enjoy the city with less crowds, stay the night and enjoy it after the day-trippers depart and before they arrive.

If I ever make it back, I'll take that advice.  

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

What a beautiful place!

Andy said...

Sweet memories Sharon.

Catalyst said...

That truly is a wonderful town to visit. We were there in 1985 too. Did you see us? And we did spend the night, or perhaps two, I can't remember now. I remember walking along the walled-in tower walls and looking down on the river far below. And also visiting Kathe Wohlfahrt's Christmas stores. Incidentally I just learned that it is now an international company with stores in Minnesota and Illinois.