Sunday, November 22, 2020

It's Like Grand Central Station in There

 

Oh wait a minute....that is Grand Central Station.  Do any of you remember hearing that phrase used to describe a place that is extremely busy and humming with activity?  I heard that phrase used many, many times before I actually visited that iconic New York landmark.  When I took a walk through  Grand Central Station just two years ago it lived up to its frenetic reputation.


Above the hustle and bustle of all the oscillating people, there are some quieter spots where people can do some fine dining in a grand setting.  It made me wonder how many people actually dine there on a regular basis.


There were quite a few people hovering near the information kiosk under the big clock.  I'm guessing that's a choice meeting point and that many were waiting to meet someone.



It is an interesting and energizing place to visit if you find yourself in New York City.


8 comments:

Andy said...

It really does deserve to be called Grand.

Janey and Co. said...

I visited there when my two daughters took me to NYC during Dec....a few years ago . It was a birthday present from them. I felt the same as I remember hearing that phrase many times!

Travel said...

There is a famous oyster bar someplace in the station, I can't wait to go back.

Roseann said...

When I was very young visiting NYC with my family from New Haven the Grand Lobby had an advertisement from Kodak across those tall windows opposite the staircase. I remember it fondly but also felt that it was not supposed to be there. I didn't realize there were windows there. I was so glad when that advertisement went away. It's so beautiful without the it.
Here is a link to see it: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-may-1982new-yorkgrand-central-terminal-train-stationmain-concoursekodak-171138115.html

FYI The Oyster Bar is in the basement link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Oyster_Bar_%26_Restaurant

Sharon said...

Roseann, thanks for that link. I can agree with you, it looks much better without the advertisement.

Catalyst said...

I rememmber hurrying through there once when I was late to catch the train to Washington, D.C. so all I remember are the crowds of people. The BRD visited there a few years ago, wandered around with her Beau Jack and I believe they dined in one of those restaurants.

Gemel said...

Great photos. It really is grand!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!