Sunday, November 27, 2016

Waterhouse Square


Because I love the city so much, I've been to London many times and there is one thing every visit has proven to me, there is always something new to discover.  On this last trip in October, I spent less time riding the tube to destinations and more time walking and that is how I discovered this beautiful place.  It's located along busy Holborn Street near the boundary with the City of London (the square mile financial district).


The building appealed to me immediately with it's arched entrance and more arches on the inside courtyard.  The building is historically listed and was designed by architects Alfred Waterhouse and his son Paul Waterhouse and was built in phases between 1885 and 1901.  (Alfred Waterhouse is the same architect who designed the Natural History Museum in London, another gorgeous Gothic building.)


It was originally built for the Prudential Assurance Society who resided there until 1999.  It is now home to a variety of business offices and offers space for parties and banquets.  The offices of English Heritage are now located here.

Back in the far corner of the vast courtyard, there is a memorial to the staff of Prudential who died in WW1.

If I lived in London, I'd find this place a very appealing place to work.  I sat for a while in the courtyard just enjoying the surroundings.

5 comments:

Mersad said...

I agree, those are some great office spaces nowadays.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Gosh it's a wonderful piece of architecture Sharon, like you I have a love of arches. I understand the London attraction, so much history, you really can discover something new each time and walking is such a great way to make new discoveries, and get a wee bit of exercise at the same time ☺

Lowell said...

This place is mesmerizing! What a grand architectural structure! I'd love to work there, also. When in high school I worked in a wonderful old stone building and even at that time I thought it was a great place to work. I've never been to London but it is on my bucket list. And I enjoy very much being able to share your trips with you. Thank you.

Catalyst said...

What a beautiful discovery you made, Sharon. Like Prince Charles, I much prefer this type of architecture to the modern styles.

William Kendall said...

The architecture is spectacular, Sharon!