Sunday, July 19, 2020

A Virtual Walk in the High Desert


I've been thinking about all the things I've missed doing this year since everyone in the world has been staying at home.  One of the things on my list was another visit to Boyce Thompson Arboretum near Superior Arizona, northeast of Phoenix.  I wrote a post about this place four years ago in which I described the history of the place.  Today I'm going to just concentrate on the scenery.


I started looking through my photos from Boyce Thompson and I ended up taking a virtual tour while sitting at my desk.  Granted, that's not quite the same as being there but it was refreshing nonetheless.



I enjoyed the desert plants that were bursting with blooms when I was there in the spring of past years.  If I time my visit right, the desert trails are ablaze with color.


When I take one of the high trails, I get stunning views of the all the mountains surrounding the area.


































Some pretty interesting rock formations can be seen in different locations.  I like that one in the middle that kind of resembles a Moai from Easter Island.


On the "walk-about" trail, I'll pass the old "out-back" shed that looks like it was left by a scruffy, old miner about 80 years ago.  I bet that it wasn't.  It's just there to add some interest to this particular trail.



In one place, giant cactus blooms share the space with beautiful iris.  I can't decide which I like better.


On the lower trail, I find myself in a lush area with tall trees and plenty of shade to cool me down.



































I've finally made my way to the demonstration garden where there are several different examples of gardens that can be created in an arid climate.  Sitting quietly in this spot, almost makes one forget about being surrounded by high desert.

I might not be able to visit this place this year but, at least I have a large collection of photos from past visits.  For now, the virtual walk will have to do.

5 comments:

Catalyst said...

Wonderful photos but you placed the Arboretum near Springerville when you meant Superior. Sorry to be such a persnickety editor.

Kay said...

This is a beautiful walk -- in some ways all the better without the heat of the day. What a gorgeous place! I love those desert vistas.

Sharon said...

Thanks for the correction! I fixed it.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

Mistress Maddie said...

This is simply beautiful and your pictures knock the wind right out of me. I wouldn't think to see such lush growth so near a desert area let alone Iris.