Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Pompidou Centre


I can remember the very first time I caught a glimpse of the Pompidou Centre in Paris some 20 years ago.  It actually stopped me in my tracks.  I thought, what on earth is this strange looking building.  It looks like it's still under construction.


However, it wasn't until my short, 42 hour visit to Paris back in 2016 that I actually ventured inside this most unusual looking building.

The Pompidou Centre was named for George Pompidou who commissioned its construction.  It was designed by architects Richard Rogers, Su Rogers and Renzo Piano and completed in 1977 in what is called a high-tech architectural style with all of the infrastructure located on the outside of the building.  It is the first major example of this type of inside-out  architecture.

The building houses the Museum of Modern Art, a Public Information Library and a IRCAM, a center for music and acoustic research.





Because my time was so limited, my visit inside was short.  However, the night before I had joined my friends for drinks at the ultra-modern Georges on the top floor of this center.  I wrote about that adventure here.


I also spent some time walking around the Stravinsky Fountain located right next door to the Pompidou Centre.


I enjoyed looking at all the whimsical sculptures in the fountain that were created by Jean Tinguely and Niki de Sainte-Phalle.  They were designed to represent themes and works by Ingor Stravinsky.


All the while I was enjoying the fountain, I was being watched by this very large gentleman.  It's a mural that was painted in 2011 by Jef Aerosol and named "Chuuuttt!!!" which translates to "shush".  I was very quiet the whole time I was there so no worries.

4 comments:

William Kendall said...

Very unusual.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It really is the most extraordinary piece of architecture Sharon, can't believe I missed it both times when I was in Paris! The sculptures in the park are a delight also and so beautifully shown here. Glad to hear you were behaving yourself and being quiet 😉

Catalyst said...

That mural resembles Salvador Dali. Probably the eyes.

v89kimlien said...

tinh tế