Sunday, June 21, 2020

The "Old West" Can Still be Found in Arizona


Today I'm taking a spin all around the state of Arizona to point out the places where the true "old west" still exists.  Some places like Bisbee (above) use that old west charm as a way to attract tourists.  And, it works.  They come here to see an old west town and they soak up the atmosphere while also enjoying the arts community that has settled here.  The main street is full of galleries and interesting shops.  Bisbee is located in Southern Arizona not far from the border with Mexico.


Next door to Bisbee is the old town of Lowell which has pretty much dried up and turned into a ghost town.  I loved exploring this town and I posted about my visit here twice before.  You can see those posts here and here.


Another southern Arizona town that serves up its old world charm with a lot of fanfare is the city of Tombstone.  This city has taken full advantage of all things western.  You'll find it all here, stagecoach rides and gunfights are regular events.  I wrote about visiting Tombstone here.


The town of Coolidge has also managed to retain some of that old west charm.  Just outside of town is where you will find the ancient ruins called Casa Grande and in spite of that historic attraction, this town seems to dying slowly.  The last time I drove through here, most of the shops were closed and boarded up.


Another town that is looking a little rough around the edges is Superior Arizona.  It's another town that is tied to the copper mining industry.  While copper is still being mined in Arizona, it is not as active as it once was.  I don't think anyone will be staying in the old Magma Hotel in the future.  I posted about this colorful town here.


You'll find every modern convenience you can think of in the city of Cottonwood but, when you drive into the historic old-town district you take a step back in time.  The old Cottonwood Hotel still operates today but, when I visited three years ago, it was booked already.  Cottonwood has become a a wine destination with a variety of wineries located here and around the city.  I wrote about my visit here.


I did get to stay in true historic hotel in Williams Arizona a few years ago and I enjoyed it very much.  Staying in a historic hotel means you have to compromise on some things, but the experience is almost always worth it.  I wrote about my stay at the historic Grand Canyon Hotel here.


Another Arizona city where the old meets the new is Winslow Arizona.  Made famous by an Eagles song, there is now a statue of a man "standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona" and a flat bed Ford just happens to be close by.  I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't know what song I'm talking about but, if you need a refresher here's a guy singing it on this very corner.


I've had several posts from Wickenburg Arizona because it happens to be the place where the annual Cowgirl Up art show happens.  Well, it was annual until this year when it had to be cancelled because of the pandemic.  Wickenburg has managed to retain its old west charm without making a big fuss about it.  I did a post about the city's western atmosphere here.


I saved the best one for last.  The town of Florence Arizona does not market itself as an old west tourist stop but it certainly has everything it needs to be just that.  It's located between Phoenix and Tucson but far off of the main roads between those two cities.  In other words, you have to make an effort to get here.  If you like the look of a truly western town without the crowds, it's well worth a visit.  Take a closer look here.

As you can see, the old west is alive and well in Arizona.  You can find reminders of it in every corner of this colorful state.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

One wonders what the Earps and Doc would make of their old haunts.

Catalyst said...

I love Old Cottonwood but you omitted Jerome and Prescott, both of which are full of Old West history.