Sunday, June 17, 2018

Tucson Museum of Art


Last week I talked about how I tend to roam around the historic El Presidio neighborhood whenever I'm in Tucson.  This week I'll show you the Tucson Museum of Art that is located in that neighborhood.  As you walk the streets around the museum, you are surrounded by old and historic buildings in a variety styles.  However, when you step through the doors of the art museum, you enter a building that is very contemporary in design.




I love how the main room forms a ramp leading down into the galleries below.  All of the walls are covered with art so you can make your way down while viewing some of the museum's collection on the way.


The last time I was there I enjoyed a series of paintings by Jim Waid, an American artist.  He is described as creating paintings that appear to be abstract but, as you look at them they slowly reveal the organic nature of the painting.  The one above reveals a scene from Monument Valley in northern Arizona. There is a string of wild horses passing by in the lower part of the painting.



The painting above is by Dean Narcho, a Native American artist who studied with Jim Waid.  That is where he became interested in abstract art.

The museum also has a wonderful display of ceramic and glass sculptures. This one by Yoshio Taylor appealed to me.

I was impressed by this museum.  It's not as large as the Phoenix Art Museum but, it has a wonderful collection that seems to lean toward artists of the southwest.  That's always welcome.

6 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I like the way you walk up through the museum without stairs, a bit like the Guggenheim.

Lowell said...

Very nice but most interesting is how much it looks like our Appleton Museum here in Ocala. I wonder if the same architect did both places.

William Kendall said...

Its architectural style appeals to me!

Judy Ryer said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit!

Thérèse said...

Superb! A good way to introduce new constructions in an older neighborhood.
I like your selection of paintings.

Catalyst said...

I've always wanted to live in Tucson.