Sunday, June 10, 2018

Enjoying Historic Arizona


I mentioned in previous posts that whenever I find myself in Tucson, I always stop at the historic El Charro restaurant for a delicious meal.  It's one of my favorite places to go.  Because it's located in a historic neighborhood called El Presidio, the houses and buildings around the restaurant are also a draw.  I always make time to roam around the neighborhood and take some photos.  Many of the houses have been lovingly restored and have so many interesting details that appeal to me.  I'm especially fond of the one above with it's bright color, lush desert plants and that wonderful old door.


This one always piqued my interest.  I find it's variety of window shapes a very attractive feature.


Some of the places are very large and were probably the homes of wealthy, early settlers in the area.  


Some are awaiting some TLC but they still hold a rustic beauty that can't be denied.  



I love how colorfully many of them are painted.



And interesting things like atmospheric gates and beautiful entrances make me wonder what it looks like inside.

































While I'm roaming the streets with my camera, sometimes I run into the curious who wonder what I'm up to.  This handsome fellow was watching me from the doorway so I snapped a portrait of him.  




























There is an endless supply of picturesque spots in the El Presidio neighborhood.  Most of the structures date from 1860 to 1920 and the neighborhood is home to restaurants, offices, shops and the Tucson Museum of Art as well as all these wonderful old homes.  I'll be back here again, that is a certainty.  

6 comments:

biebkriebels said...

It seems no house is the same, they all stand out in different colours and shapes. Lovely to see this architecture.

Lowell said...

Wow, you found a treasure trove of houses and entrances and doors and colorful structures! Wouldn't you love to also see the interiors to look at how they are decorated? My favorite is the 2nd house - the very large one with the arches and balconies that looks almost like a small cathedral.

William Kendall said...

Some beautiful architecture there!

Karl said...

Very picturesque !

Silver in AZ said...

how wonderful that the area is being lovingly restored! Thanks for sharing!

Judy Ryer said...

My favorite is the one with the green door and brick stairs. I love the dog portrait too.