Sunday, May 6, 2018

Sunnylands Garden & Center (Part 2)


I don't think I've ever been so inspired by a home tour as I was of the tour of the Sunnylands home.  From the moment our eight passenger golf cart arrived at the front door, to the moment we were returned to the visitor's center, I was in awe of everything around me.

Before entering the home, our guide told us about the impressive sculpture that dominates the front of the home.  The Annenbergs were inspired by a huge sculpture and fountain they saw in Mexico City and commissioned a half-sized version for their home.  It is etched with symbols relating the history of Mexico and its peoples.










As I mentioned last week, photography was not allowed inside the home, but it was encouraged when we were outside of the home.  However, if you are curious and would like a peek inside, there are slides available on the website.  (Scroll down to where the photo of the house is located and click on the arrows.  Scroll down further and you will find a virtual tour of the Room of Memories.)


The home was built in the mid-century modern style where the architectural features are exposed rather than hidden.  Mrs. Annenberg wanted the pink pyramid on the roof of the home to match the pink glow of sunrises and sunsets on the nearby mountains.


In addition to being major philanthropists, the Annenbergs were also avid collectors of art and art objects.  Even though he contributed his 1 billion dollar collection of masters to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, each of the paintings was digitally reproduced so they could continue to hang on the walls of the home.  As I gazed on these reproductions, I realized that I had seen many of the real ones at the museum in New York.


Many of the sculptures they collected remain in the house.  Outside the house are also many sculptures the couple collected like this kinetic sculpture by Harry Bertoia.



Our small group exited the house on the patio where we enjoyed a magnificent view over towards the swimming pool with those gorgeous mountains framing the scene.



From the patio, we were taken to the guest house where we saw the central game room surrounded by color themed guest rooms.  


Behind the guest house was a rose garden with beautiful rose bushes named for many of the famous women who have been guests of the Annenbergs in the past.  Barbara Bush, Queen Elizabeth and more first ladies were all represented in blooms here.




Toward the end of the tour we were whisked off in our golf cart across the 9-hole golf course to view the home from the lake and waterfall.  I think this might be my favorite view of the house.  


On the way back to the visitor's center, we stopped at this sculpture called "Birds of Welcome" by sculptor Arthur Price.  It has a special place of honor on the edge of the sprawling green of the golf course.


If you love historic places and also love architecture and art, I highly recommend visiting this home if you have the opportunity.  Everything about the experience was pleasant from the people who work there to the beautifully planned and constructed surroundings.  I was thoroughly impressed by it all.

5 comments:

Lowell said...

What a grand estate! I would never want to leave. I can imagine playing 9 holes of golf and then relaxing in that pool! The big sculpture in front of the house reminded me of our "silo" in front of Trilogy. Maybe our "silo" derived from that fountain in Mexico too!

Another of your superb posts with your superb photography. Tell me again what camera you're using. OK?

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I love everything about this house Sharon, super link, would have loved it if they'd shown a bit more. I seem to have gone all modernist lately ☺

William Kendall said...

What a fabulous place, and irresistible for the photographer!

Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its pleasant conversation concerning this article here at this web site, I have
read all that, so now me also commenting here.

Anonymous said...

There's definately a great deal to find out about this topic.
I like all the points you've made.