Sunday, May 27, 2018

Chihuly Glass in the Garden


Last week I posted about the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit in Seattle Washington but, I ended in the indoor portion of the museum.  This week I'll take you outside to the "garden" area of the museum.


Having seen two exhibits of Chihuly Glass in my home city at the Desert Botanical Garden, I wasn't prepared for the thick diversity of a northwest garden.  When I first stepped through the door of the conservatory into the garden, I was greeted with lush greenery and an abundance of colorful blooms.  Mixed in with all of that healthy vegetation was Chihuly's variety of glass sculptures that were also "blooming" out of all that green.


"The Sun" was shining brightly just outside of the conservatory.  This sculpture (or one just like it) was the centerpiece of the Desert Botanical Garden's first Chihuly exhibit way back in 2009.  Here it sits atop a hill covered in a fern-like plant with leaves that almost looked black.


These green and brown glass "blooms" blend in so well they look like tall and graceful sprouts popping up above the low growing plants.



This tower looks very much like the three towers that now grace the entrance to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix.  Only this one is about twice as tall as our tallest one.



























I hadn't seen a tower like this one before with nuggets of colorful glass climbing tall like a new kind of geode forming before our eyes.





























Before exiting the garden and the museum, there is an area where glass blowing demonstrations are taking place.  There was quite a crowd of appreciative viewers watching the demonstration but, I was able to snap one shot of this artist as he spun a dark glass orb that was just out of the fire.

As I stated last week, visiting Chihuly Garden and Glass was the highlight of my short trip to Seattle.

6 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I love that sun!

Lowell said...

The sun is stunning! As is many of the other pieces in this garden. I would have also enjoyed the glass blowing demonstration! Great fun, Sharon, and thanks for sharing!

William Kendall said...

Dazzling sculptures!

Judy Ryer said...

Wonderful to see these photos, must have been fun to see them in person.

RedPat said...

He is a great designer!

Catalyst said...

I've said it before. I'll say it again. I love Chihuly glass.