Sunday, January 22, 2023

A Journey Around the Word in One Stop

 

Last week I mentioned the New York Times 52 places to visit in 2023 report and that Tucson Arizona made the list.  Also on the list was London, my favorite foreign city.  The writers had different reasons for including London but I would recommend London on any occasion.  One place in London worth a visit at any time is the grand British Museum.

One can take a trip around the world viewing all the treasures of the British Museum.  I'll start today with the Lewis Chessmen.  In 2016 I did a whole post about these incredible figures that were discovered in Scotland.  



The museum contains a large collection of Egyptian artifacts which of course, appeals to me very much.  They appeal to lots of other people too.  These rooms are always the busiest when I've visited.















In another room I found beautiful objects from Asia like these Dragon Tiles from the Ming Dynasty.  I thought they were quite exquisite.  




Also described as exquisite (in my book) were the wonderful ceramics from the 18th and 19th centuries.  The incredible detail in some of the pieces is worth seeing.

The tankard to the right also caught my eye.  It is describe as having belonged to Queen Christina of Sweden who reined between 1632 and 1654.  The panels around the body of the vessel are carved with female figures representing the seven deadly sins, pride, gluttony, lechery, sloth, wrath, envy and avarice. 












The last room I'll visit in today's post is watched over by Hercules.  This bust has had some restoration work done to it because it was discovered buried in the ash at the food of Mt. Vesuvius.  

These are just a few of the many, many wonderful things to see inside the British Museum.  If you would like to see more, you can check some of my other posts about the museum here and here. Or better yet if you can, visit the museum!

6 comments:

William Kendall said...

I would love to see that museum.

Travel said...

One of the worlds great museums

Roseann said...

Was that bust in the last photo located in the library on the way to the Ladies Room?
If that's where it was I passed it on the way.

Catalyst said...

I visited the museum once and was as enamored of it as you are.

DeniseinVA said...

Marvelous exhibit and wonderful photos. I will have to put this museum on my bucket list when we go again. We've been talking about it.

Catarina said...

I have been in London a few times, but never visited the Museum.